Astros/Rangers Discussion - NO MODS ALLOWED

42,745 Views | 862 Replies | Last: 21 min ago by jkag89
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Craigy said:

The Porkchop Express said:

LeagueCityAg said:

That's impressive, but my edit of GLP as Home Depot Park stayed unchanged for 31 days last year.
and no one noticed...or cared.. we were at the victory parade

You were at th3 victory parade in July?
Marvin
AG
agent-maroon said:

agent-maroon said:

Quote:

Okay, if it's not bitter jealousy then what is it professor?
Hard to say exactly, but whenever I mention the Astros "dynasty" talk with my Cubs & Cardinals fan in-laws it induces a smirk and brief snickering.

Probably just a stress reaction to the bitter jealousy the baseball world suffers from Astros success.

I get the Cardinals reaction, but Cub fans? Are they puffing their chests out about their dominant run of 3 titles in the past 117 years?

Regarding the Cubs, I was just trying to think of some fans I know outside of Texas that actually have a history with you guys. Most don't give the Astros a second thought.

But, yeah bitter jealousy lol

So you just made it up? Seems about right...
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Silent For Too Long
This is the head in the sand delusion that that makes your fanbase so easy to make fun of.

The Astros and Dodgers have clearly been the two dominate baseball teams of the last decade. Your own fanbase talked about the Astros more then their own team until last year.

I've watched fan shows and read fan blogs from every fanbase and they all acknowledge the Astros dominance.

Trying to pretend it's not happening makes you look incredibly pathetic.

Hth.
fc2112
Silent For Too Long said:

I've watched fan shows and read fan blogs from every fanbase and they all acknowledge the Astros dominance.
Except for - you know - recently

DallasAg 94

This is the head in the sand delusion that that makes your fanbase so easy to make fun of.

The Astros and Dodgers have clearly been the two dominate baseball teams of the last decade. Your own fanbase talked about the Astros more then their own team until last year.

Hth.
The only reason to talk about the Astros, was to mock them and their fans. From 2011 to 2023 (excluding 2020) the Astros have averaged 83.7 Ws per season. Rangers averaged 81.

Dynasty? Bang the trashcan once for Yes. Twice for No.
The Porkchop Express
At the risk of opening Endora's box here, I would love our northern neighbors to tell us how much you think the Astros cheated, for how long, and what that cheating comprised of.
Heineken-Ashi
DallasAg 94 said:

Hth.
The only reason to talk about the Astros, was to mock them and their fans. From 2011 to 2023 (excluding 2020) the Astros have averaged 83.7 Ws per season. Rangers averaged 81.

Dynasty? Bang the trashcan once for Yes. Twice for No.
Interesting picking a 13 year window, 14 if you include this year, that just so happens to coincide with the Astros start of their rebuild while the Rangers were at their historical peak (before last year).

As a better comparison, let's compare the last decade going back to 2015, when the Rangers were good, and the Astros rebuild phase was over. We could go back to 2014 and not include 2024 so far, but the Rangers had 3 less wins that year, so this only helps you. Here's the breakdown.

Rangers: 651-712 (47.76 W%)
Astros: 803-561 (58.87 W%)

100 Win Seasons
Rangers: 0
Astros: 4

95 Win Seasons
Rangers: 1
Astros: 5

Years With Winning Record
Rangers: 3
Astros: 8

Division Champs
Rangers: 4
Astros: 6

Playoff Appearances
Rangers: 3
Astros: 8

ALCS Appearances:
Astros: 7

WS Appearances
Astros: 4

WS Titles
Astros: 2

The Rangers are a fairly youn and exciting team with likeable star power that should be competing for Division and ALCS for the next 5 years. And the Rangers currently hold the crown and the advantage with the direct ALCS series win to get there.

But to argue that the last 10 years for the Astros haven't been dominate, or dynasty like. That's just insane. To then sit there and also argue that the teams are practically equal over recent history. That's just plain stupid. The Rangers aren't close in anything but division titles and WS.. and still.. they have to win two more divisions and another WS just to tie.

Be proud of the very recent success and promising future. But don't stupidly try to act like the last 10 years didn't happen. They did. It sucked for you until last year.

Also, in 2017, the Astros were 5-5 at home against the Rangers, 7-2 @ Texas. So if the Astros only won by cheating, it sure didn't seem to show.in the head to head stats. Weird.
ā€œGive it hell Heinekandle, Iā€™m enjoying it.ā€
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

ā€œNo secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade Iā€™ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!ā€
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
Silent For Too Long
Uh, but if you go back to 1963 the Rangers have averaged jack **** so like, uh, that means they didn't really win last year and stuff.

Sound logic their, mensa.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Where's that Astros fan who said that all D/FW sports fans talk about is history?

The Astros and Rangers were both terrible organizations who hadn't accomplished **** until very recently. It's unfortunate that the Astros recent success is stained by the cheating scandal.
The Porkchop Express
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Where's that Astros fan who said that all D/FW sports fans talk about is history?

The Astros and Rangers were both terrible organizations who hadn't accomplished **** until very recently. It's unfortunate that the Astros recent success is stained by the cheating scandal.
So to play devil's advocate, if you guys found out that the Rangers and two other teams had breaking MLB rules last year, would you renounce your World Series title? Would you boo your players and want them all suspended for a year?

Just wondering where your morality falls if it was your team, not a rival.

If your response is going to be any version of "I guess we'll never know", please be more original.

Not trying to antagonize you, really interested in the thought of another fan base.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

So to play devil's advocate, if you guys found out that the Rangers and two other teams had breaking MLB rules last year, would you renounce your World Series title? Would you boo your players and want them all suspended for a year?

If your response is going to be any version of "I guess we'll never know", please be more original.

Not trying to antagonize you, really interested in the thought of another fan base.

Of course not. I know you probably think I was being facetious, but yes, I'd be proud that my team won the WS, but it would suck to have to defend that title when bragging about it to other fans. And it's not just rivals you have to defend it from, it's fans of literally every other team. That's what I meant by it being "unfortunate."
Heineken-Ashi
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Of course not. I know you probably think I was being facetious, but yes, I'd be proud that my team won the WS, but it would suck to have to defend that title when bragging about it to other fans. And it's not just rivals you have to defend it from, it's fans of literally every other team. That's what I meant by it being "unfortunate."
It does suck, especially considering that our stats were better on the road in 2017 than at home. We cheated, and we actually sucked at it. We didn't have to cheat to win. It was ridiculous and stupid.
ā€œGive it hell Heinekandle, Iā€™m enjoying it.ā€
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

ā€œNo secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade Iā€™ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!ā€
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
The Porkchop Express
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Really appreciate your candid answer.
ahpetty33
AG

Uh, but if you go back to 1963 the Rangers have averaged jack **** so like, uh, that means they didn't really win last year and stuff.

Sound logic their, mensa.

*there, mensa.*
Cappo
AG
another Adolis RBI against *stros
FriscoKid
AG

Still not good.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Astros and As have the same amount of wins. Yikes.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
This is not a trash talking post but an objective post about the difference in the two teams right now.

For two nights in a row, every Texas starter got at least one base hit. The bottom of the order gets on for the top of the order and the middle of the order moves the tops of the order, etc, etc.

On the other hand, no Astro hitter from 5-9 got a hit tonight. They have three guys that can hit consistently and they're all at the top of the order. No matter how good your pitching staff is, you can't win if you don't score runs.

Final should have been 7-0 tonight but for Seager's error. Errors are part of the game but neither run was earned.

The Astros don't have a pitching problem, they have an offense problem. The pitchers are taking the heat but they need to look at their lineup if they want to win more games.

Just my $.02.
Double Talkin' Jive...
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

The Astros current run is historically good. Period.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GigEmRangers75455
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

This is not a trash talking post but an objective post about the difference in the two teams right now.

For two nights in a row, every Texas starter got at least one base hit. The bottom of the order gets on for the top of the order and the middle of the order moves the tops of the order, etc, etc.

On the other hand, no Astro hitter from 5-9 got a hit tonight. They have three guys that can hit consistently and they're all at the top of the order. No matter how good your pitching staff is, you can't win if you don't score runs.

Final should have been 7-0 tonight but for Seager's error. Errors are part of the game but neither run was earned.

The Astros don't have a pitching problem, they have an offense problem. The pitchers are taking the heat but they need to look at their lineup if they want to win more games.

Just my $.02.

17 runs in 18 innings but not a pitching problem? Rangers are missing Jung and Lowe in the starting lineup. Carter and Langford are rookies (although Carter has experience). The bottom of the order right now is platoon players outside of Leody.
tjack16
AG
agent-maroon said:

Quote:

Don't lieā€¦ if I asked would you want the rangers to make 7 straight ALCS, win 4 pennants and another titleā€¦ you'd take that in a heartbeat

Y'all are better this year and were last year in the ALCSā€¦ but let's not pretend this 7 year Astros run isn't great.
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

The Astros don't have a pitching problem, they have an offense problem.
Porque no los dos?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LeagueCityAg
AG
Whole lotta living in the past right now from Astros fans in this thread. I thought that was DFW's thing?
tjack16
AG
LeagueCityAg said:

Whole lotta living in the past right now from Astros fans in this thread. I thought that was DFW's thing?

IMO living in the past is discussing or bragging about things that none of the current players/coaches did.

Like Longhorn fans bragging about 2005. Or cowboys and rockets fans bragging about the 90s.

Bringing up 2017-current isn't living in the past. That's recent.
agent-maroon
AG
tjack16 said:

agent-maroon said:

Quote:

Don't lieā€¦ if I asked would you want the rangers to make 7 straight ALCS, win 4 pennants and another titleā€¦ you'd take that in a heartbeat

Y'all are better this year and were last year in the ALCSā€¦ but let's not pretend this 7 year Astros run isn't great.
Literally quoted your strobro's post exactly as it was originally posted right down to the emoji smug smiley face. Read into it what you will
GigEmRangers75455
tjack16 said:

LeagueCityAg said:

IMO living in the past is discussing or bragging about things that none of the current players/coaches did.

Like Longhorn fans bragging about 2005. Or cowboys and rockers fans bragging about the 90s.

2017 is the past lolā€¦
LeagueCityAg
AG
tjack16 said:

LeagueCityAg said:

Like Longhorn fans bragging about 2005. Or cowboys and rockers fans bragging about the 90s.

Sure thing man, keep changing the criteria to fit your narrative.
tjack16
AG
LeagueCityAg said:

tjack16 said:

LeagueCityAg said:

Sure thing man, keep changing the criteria to fit your narrative.

I didn't change the criteria nor have I posted that y'all "live in the past". Please point out the post where I've claimed Ranger fans live in the past.

I've actually been very complimentary towards the rangers and fans on here.
JWinTX
LeagueCityAg said:

agent-maroon said:

Quote:

Hard to say exactly, but whenever I mention the Astros "dynasty" talk with my Cubs & Cardinals fan in-laws it induces a smirk and brief snickering.

Probably just a stress reaction to the bitter jealousy the baseball world suffers from Astros success.

So you have family members that are as ignorant regarding baseball history as you are?

That's cool, man. Congrats!
Or maybe, just maybe, you're the ignorant one.

Judging by your other posts in here, that idea isn't too far fetched.

Yeah, he seems kinda specialā€¦
DallasAg 94

At the risk of opening Endora's box here, I would love our northern neighbors to tell us how much you think the Astros cheated, for how long, and what that cheating comprised of.
Here is the problem with cheating.... you are asking cheaters to confess about their cheating. You'll never get the full truth. Once you reach a certain willingness to cheat, it's really hard to regain that line.

I saw the video that went through some of what Houston did. That was much more elaborate than I had realized.

I believe Boston and NYY were far more egregious and for far longer than the Astros. They were given a pass and more blame was placed on Houston to shield the Sox/NYYY. That's one reason I would like the ALCS go through Rangers v Astros and take attention away from them.

But, the problem with the Astros goes back further. While "tanking" is probably not illegal, it certainly goes against the spirit of competition. I didn't like that the Rangers accepted mediocrity/tanked. Didn't like the Astros doing it.

But, the problem goes back further. The idea of Luhnow stealing information from the St. Louis Cardinals when he left adds to the controversy. I believe he promoted a win-at-all costs environment.

I'm not a fan of Preller (Dodgers/Rangers/Padres), either.
Silent For Too Long
JWinTX said:

LeagueCityAg said:

agent-maroon said:

Quote:

So you have family members that are as ignorant regarding baseball history as you are?

That's cool, man. Congrats!
Or maybe, just maybe, you're the ignorant one.

Judging by your other posts in here, that idea isn't too far fetched.

Yeah, he seems kinda specialā€¦

Oh, so I'm ******ed because I know baseball history?

Thanks homie.
Silent For Too Long
Solid post.

I don't really have a problem with tanking, personally. If the cupboard is bare you really don't have much choice as a franchise. Plus, as the Astros, Rangers and Orioles have already proven recently, it works.
DallasAg 94

Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I'm probably an outlier.

At some point I realized I don't have the morality (or lack of) to be a "winner."

I'd rather A&M never win a National Championship than to implement things winning teams seem to require. Jimbo should have suspended Jamison. Him kicking off players his last season at A&M was the right thing to do. Never been a fan of paying players. NIL made it legal. But I still don't like the idea of having professional players.

Just because you can play football shouldn't give you a license to abuse people. Adrian Peterson, Joe Mixon... so many... Chapman... not a fan of guys that beat women.

I was very vocal against PEDs in MLB. Rangers and any other team. It wasn't just cheating, IMO, there are long-term health issues and if we allow players in MLB to use them, it trickles down to kids and will do real damage. The idea MLB granted an AUE (Acceptable Use Exemption) is accepting PEDs and by all accounts, MLB gets to decide who is allowed. Who isn't. And who does or doesn't get punished. Like A-Rod winning the MVP with the Rangers. Tested positive, but because MLB made an agreement that they could test without consequences in order to understand the scope of the problem, only further annoys me.

If the Rangers were found to be cheaters in winning the WS in 2023, I'd be pissed at THEM... not everyone else who wanted to remind me.

Just my opinion.
The Porkchop Express
Nobody is a fan of guys who beat women.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
GigEmRangers75455 said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Just my $.02.

17 runs in 18 innings but not a pitching problem? Rangers are missing Jung and Lowe in the starting lineup. Carter and Langford are rookies (although Carter has experience). The bottom of the order right now is platoon players outside of Leody.

You're right. We've exploded offensively. The only platoon player in the bottom of.our lineup is Smith, and he's coming around this season. He's made some adjustments to his swing and has been displaying a great approach at the plate.

Hunter Brown imploded yesterday but the bullpen kind of held it together. France had a good night and left when the score was 3-2. Pressley got hammered.

My point though, is that our offense is clicking, putting the ball in play, and getting on base, that taxes a pitching staff. Hitters 5-9 for the Astros managed 2 walks tonight. Kind of hard to move those runners when you can't hit. They have some decent hitters in those spots but they aren't producing.

Heres hoping for another blowout win tomorrow. Ron White is due for a let down after his most recent performance.
Double Talkin' Jive...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.