Astros/Rangers Discussion - NO MODS ALLOWED

43,119 Views | 862 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by jkag89
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tjack16 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

I felt empathy for Henley. I felt he was kinda the sacrificial lamb to step in for an emergency start. He really had no business going. I mentioned his back-story is compelling. From what I heard, when he was kid, his dad was driving and some kids threw some rocks off an overpass and caused his dad to wreck, becoming a paraplegic. His mom had to work to support the family.

Leiter wasn't as bad as the line looks. He accomplished what he needed. I was hoping a full 4IP, but Taveras decided to do a Nellie Cruz impersonation to extend the inning.

Personally, I think Leiter was pretty amped up through the 1st. Rangers went up 4-0 in the T2 and Leiter probably took a deep breath and relaxed. His pitches got sloppy and he got behind hitters early and the hitters were able to sit on Leiter's pitchers.

He has some work to do and hopefully this was something to build on.

To me Leiter and Arighetti will be fine. I'd imagine his second start he bounces back. Leiter was insanely good at Vandy… very lucky the Aggies avoided them those years.
I'd expect Arighetti to be on the '25 Astos roster.

I just don't know about Leiter. For the #2 overall pick, there is way too much uncertainty and doubt, IMO. He could settle in to a good MLB career, or that could have been his only moment in the Bigs.
DallasAg 94
No scoreboard watching?!
Aggies2009
AG
Are the Astros the best 7-15 team in baseball?
agent-maroon
AG
Yes! No doubt, but only because they're the only 7 win team right now.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DeProfundis
Hey our Pythagorean w/l is 9-13
tjack16
AG
Aggies2009 said:

We are hanging the banner as we speak
West Roxbury
As an Astros fan, I am going to have to figure out how to watch this long summer. Perhaps I can catch up on the backyard and garage and hope the maroon and white carry us through June.
West Roxbury
The Porkchop Express said:

South Platte said:

Mr Gigem said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Well I'm not sure how to respond to the idea that the problem with the catcher is that he's hitting too well.
"That's what she Espada said."

You'll figure it out.
As Rangers fans go, I try to like you but you come across as such a ****** bag
Says the guy with perhaps the weirdest obsession on this forum

https://texags.com/forums/53/topics/3450449
It's satire. And not one ****ing person is making you click that thread.
Did you really lose a leg in your near death/coma experience? If so, damn! You're entitled to as many odd Gallo threads as you please.
Yes, I got run over by an asleep-at-the-wheel truck driver in 2016. I was in a coma for a few weeks, during and spent a year or so remembering how to be a person. The moderators called this time period ,"The Golden Age of TexAgs"

Damn.
Aggies2009
AG
I hate to beat a dead horse, but I'm pretty sure the Astros are the best 16-loss team in baseball at the moment.
Mr Gigem
AG
You can't win the division in April, but you can definitely play yourself out if it
aggiephoenix02
Are y'all arguing over who the best team in Texas is?

Here, let me help y'all out, it's the Braves…
The Porkchop Express
I'm going to need the Texans to be really good next fall if this is what the next 6 months is going to look like.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
fc2112
One team has been in first place since Opening Day, right?

May change tomorrow, of course.
Ciboag96
We Houston sports fans are built for this. Like our native son, Lyle Lovett. Been ugly all our lives but still had a nice stretch where we bedded Pretty Woman.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Ciboag96 said:

We Houston sports fans are built for this. Like our native son, Lyle Lovett. Been ugly all our lives but still had a nice stretch where we bedded Pretty Woman.

Now that's finding the silver lining.
tjack16
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

Ciboag96 said:

Now that's finding the silver lining.

My silver lining is Aggie baseball. It's been a rough April in Houston
Quincey P. Morris
AG
They're definitely providing one hell of a silver lining. I think B-Mont might be the best transfer we've ever gotten across all sports.
tjack16
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

They're definitely providing one hell of a silver lining. I think B-Mont might be the best transfer we've ever gotten across all sports.

I agree. I also think even though it's one season he might be arguably the best player in program history. Especially given that he's in the SEC west and the level of pitching he's facing + the modern bats.

Put him in the 90s with those bats facing big 12 pitching and he hits 40+ HR
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Absolutely. He's just stupid good. And even if he doesn't pan out as a fielder he could turn into a pitcher.
option short side
AG
Aggies2009 said:

7-16
fc2112
fc2112 said:

One team has been in first place since Opening Day, right?

May change tomorrow, of course.
Or not.

FPTR
fc2112
option short side said:

Aggies2009 said:

7-16
7+16 = 23 games played

23/162 = 14.2% of the season

Projected losses = 16 / 14.2% = 113

Projected record = 49-113
South Platte
fc2112 said:

option short side said:

Aggies2009 said:

7-16
7+16 = 23 games played

They started off 15-30 in 2005 and made the WS. It's fun to see them struggle but it's only a matter of time until they figure it out and roll off 12 in a row.
gigem1223
Is that you Dana?
option short side
AG
South Platte said:

fc2112 said:

option short side said:

Aggies2009 said:

7-16
7+16 = 23 games played

They started off 15-30 in 2005 and made the WS. It's fun to see them struggle but it's only a matter of time until they figure it out and roll off 12 in a row.
That's a good point. The 1914 Boston Braves started 4-18 and ended up winning the World Series, so you never know.
Boiling Denim
fc2112 said:

option short side said:

Aggies2009 said:

7-16
7+16 = 23 games played

The 2023 Athletics is easily the worst team I've ever seen in my lifetime.

They started out 10-45

...and still finished with 50 wins.
The Porkchop Express
In more recent memory, the '19 Nationals were 19-31 after 50 games and won the World Series.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
tjack16
AG
I think the Rangers win the division at about 92-70, and the Astros get the last wild card slot at about 88-74. Or the Astros miss out on in by a couple of games
aggiephoenix02
Tomahawk Chop!
DallasAg 94
tjack16 said:

I think the Rangers win the division at about 92-70, and the Astros get the last wild card slot at about 88-74. Or the Astros miss out on in by a couple of games
Houston at 7-16, you think will go 81-58?
During that time, the Rangers 12-11 will go: 80-59?

Is my math right on that?

I know this is baseball and it is crazy with 162G, but the Rangers are at (52.17%) and at this winning rate would go 85-77.

We just added Lorenzen (SP) to the rotation.
We just added a GG+SS at 1B (Lowe) and DFA'd a NRI (Walsh) who was hitting .226 with 1 HR.
The '23 MLB MVP-2 (Seager) had a sports hernia surgery in the off-season and is likely still getting normal having shown almost no power so far.
We have a 21 yo (Carter) and a 22 yo (Langford) that should improve on their hitting.

Jung will be a mid-season return.

While you just added a HoF SP (JV)... you just put your best performing SP (Javier) in '24 on the IL. And we have a HoF returning in a couple weeks from now (Scherzer). Along with Bradford our '24 #1 performing SP.

You have no position players on the IL. Right? So, your Offense is your offense.
Your two minor league SPs (Arrighetti and Henley) both got tore up. Henley was a sacrificial lamb, I know.

Your premise is the Rookie Manager will right the ship of:
Brown, France, +1 SP
JAbreu, Bregman, Myers, and Singleton
Pressley, Hader, BAbreu, and Bielak?!
None of those guys are hurt or coming off an injury, right?! Are we going with the 7 years of playoff is resulting in a slow start that they'll improve on?! What is the hope here?! Just curious.

And our 4-Time World Series Championship manager will be status quo?!
Getting guys healthy and returning to form won't net us anything?
Lowe - oblique
Seager - Off-season sports hernia surgery
Jung - broken wrist 1st week of season. Out 2 months.
Scherzer - back surgery fusing a disk.

We can do the Framber/McCuller/deGrom/Mahle game, but I don't think any of that is worth exploring.
tjack16
AG
My prediction for the Astros is hoping Garcia, Framber, Javier and McCullers all come back when their estimated stint ends.
I also think the back end of the pen will have a good hot streak in them to right the ship.

I think your offense will carry you to 90 wins easily.
DallasAg 94
Sounds like "best case" scenario?!

I was surprised Javier went on the IL for a sore neck that didn't go away. Makes me think it was more than just sleeping wrong. Missing 1 GS for bad pillows, but he'll miss at least 3?

Framber had a sore elbow on his throwing arm. When I hear that, I'm 50/50 it'll end with TJ. Now... or 2 months from now, that almost always sounds like a TJ-in-waiting.

The other two Garcia (TJ) and McCullers haven't thrown in MLB in about a year and both are not expected back until mid-season, no?!

Meanwhile, you are running France, Arrighetti, and Brown out there with a 41-yo JV who just returned.

Overall, what I'm measuring is the new Manager and new Catcher.

As bad as Maldy was hitting, I'm curious... With Janier (DR)... Javier (DR), Blanco (DR), Framber (DR) and Montero (DR) seem to have done well. None of the American Ps seem to be putting it together. Is there a communication issue? I've said I thought he was hitting too well for a 1st time C and was mocked. My point was, he was spending more time on his hitting than he likely was spending preparing for the pitching matchups and developing a repoire.
South Platte
It cracks me up when I hear Astros fans talk about McCullers. Hoping he shows up sounds like the Choo Freeman and Chip Ambres banter.
The Porkchop Express
South Platte said:

It cracks me up when I hear Astros fans talk about McCullers. Hoping he shows up sounds like the Choo Freeman and Chip Ambres banter.
Reminds me of Rangers fans with Josh Hamilton from 2015-2017. He was always about to turn things around.
South Platte

South Platte said:

Reminds me of Rangers fans with Josh Hamilton from 2015-2017. He was always about to turn things around.
How many all star appearances and league MVP's does LM have? The fact is LM isn't even a great player when healthy. He's pretty good in the HEB commercials though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.