* Liverpool 2023-2024 Thread *

66,496 Views | 1436 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by hoosierAG
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's a new year and the squad is going to look very different this coming year. It'll be interesting to see which new faces we bring in to fill the holes left by those who are departing as well as if Klopp adjusts his tactics or tries to get guys who can keep up his intense counterpressing style.

If you're feeling nostalgic, the official team YouTube page has some great content up about Bobby, Milner, and Co.

https://www.youtube.com/@LiverpoolFC/videos
jeffk
AG
OregonAggie
AG
LFG
AG@RICE
AG
YNWA
AG@RICE
AG
Mac Allister completing a medical today.
OregonAggie
AG
AG@RICE said:

Mac Allister completing a medical today.

He's a big time get if we push this over the finish line.
jeffk
AG
The Secret World of Alexis Mac
Unemployed
AG
35MM? A steal if true.

jeffk
AG
Yeah, the price keeps dropping. Which is outstanding news for us.
jeffk
AG
Yikes. I knew he'd get big money but that's BIG BIG money.

AG@RICE
AG
I thought Mac Allister was going to cost 2x that amount. That price will leave us in great shape for the rest of the window.

Need at least 1 more midfielder, possibly 2. Thuram and Kone being linked heavily. I'd be surprised if we got either given the nature of the transfer game.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Read a couple articles about the need for English/homegrown guys with Ox, Milner and....the other English guy? Leaving. Maybe Kelleher is who I'm thinking of as he's homegrown.

There doesn't seem to be much actual focus to that in the real rumors.
ChipFTAC01
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Read a couple articles about the need for English/homegrown guys with Ox, Milner and....the other English guy? Leaving. Maybe Kelleher is who I'm thinking of as he's homegrown.

There doesn't seem to be much actual focus to that in the real rumors.

https://theathletic.com/4570609/2023/06/04/liverpool-homegrown-players-transfer/?source=user_shared_article

Forgot about Nat Phillips maybe leaving as well.
AG@RICE
AG
We are definitely approaching the cap on international players. We might stupidly waste a spot on Adrian. I'm pretty sure they won't renew his contract if it meant losing out on a top international midfielder, but its still worrisome. Also rumors we could sell Matip if we bring in a new CB.
jeffk
AG
AG@RICE said:

I thought Mac Allister was going to cost 2x that amount. That price will leave us in great shape for the rest of the window.

Need at least 1 more midfielder, possibly 2. Thuram and Kone being linked heavily. I'd be surprised if we got either given the nature of the transfer game.

LFC Offside had a good breakdown of midfield minutes here - https://liverpooloffside.sbnation.com/liverpool-fc-tactics-longform/2023/6/5/23749889/liverpool-transfer-news-summer-2023-midfield-rebuild-how-many-minutes-needed-replace-keita-milner

Based on that, I hope we bring in one additional MF after Mac and continue to work in our younger players.

But yeah, the homegrown thing is an issue. Not a particularly difficult one to solve, but still a consideration.
AG@RICE
AG
I feel like Harvey Elliot's future position is at wide forward. He doesn't play with enough toughness/energy to be the ideal Klopp midfielder. I'd use him less in the midfield next year and more as a back up to Mo. That frees up about 2K minutes in the calculation.

I think father time is starting to steal a bit of Mo's brilliance. We would be best served giving him a bit more rest. That said, I'm not sure Mo tolerates coming off the field.
ChipFTAC01
AG
AG@RICE said:

I feel like Harvey Elliot's future position is at wide forward. He doesn't play with enough toughness/energy to be the ideal Klopp midfielder. I'd use him less in the midfield next year and more as a back up to Mo. That frees up about 2K minutes in the calculation.

I think father time is starting to steal a bit of Mo's brilliance. We would be best served giving him a bit more rest. That said, I'm not sure Mo tolerates coming off the field.

I agree with him backing up MO.
jeffk
AG
I've been waiting for Mo to physically breakdown each of the past four seasons... at this point I think he'll just collapse at the end of the season someday and retire. He's an ironman.

And I could see Harvey becoming a wide attacking player, but I also can't get a read on what Klopp's plans are for play style yet. I don't see a way for him to perfectly recreate the counterpressing look we've rolled out in the past. And I don't know that he sees TAA as a permanent fixture in the MF either. He's stubborn, but also he hopefully learned a hard lesson this past year and will be more flexible. I'm interested to see how it all comes together this fall.
jeffk
AG
Officially official

Unemployed
AG
jeffk said:

I've been waiting for Mo to physically breakdown each of the past four seasons... at this point I think he'll just collapse at the end of the season someday and retire. He's an ironman.
You just jinxed it.
jeffk
AG
I am of zero consequence. Mo doesn't even like my tweets to him.
AG@RICE
AG
We got a new #10
ChipFTAC01
AG
Agreed to personal terms with that French MF from Nice. Khephren Thuram
jeffk
AG
I know nothing about this dude. What's his story?
ChipFTAC01
AG
jeffk said:

I know nothing about this dude. What's his story?
he's a French DM. Don't really know anything else. Just start seeing his name pop,up in the last two weeks.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/khephren-thuram/profil/spieler/463618
jeffk
AG
Naby headed to Werder Bremen on a free.
jeffk
AG
Kind of interesting. I was wondering why we didn't get any run during the final season of Ted Lasso. Guess the team didn't want the distraction.

jeffk
AG
Woah. Dempsey was supposed to sign with Liverpool back in the day?

jeffk
AG
Lots of Liverpool-adjacent stories the past couple days. Stevie G is chasing that Saudi cash. Please let Pep be next!

FriedTex
AG
In
jeffk
AG
Milly off to BHA.

ChipFTAC01
AG
Listening to Herc Gomez' podcast this morning (which isn't great BTW) and he had on Lyle Yorks who is/was Dempsey's agent. In 2012 when they were at the finish line to move Deuce to Liverpool the only thing that derailed it was it required Liverpool to loan a player back to Fulham. That player was Hendo, he refused, and so Dempsey ended up going to Spurs instead.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, that was the story I posted about back on the 11th. Pretty crazy story when you think of alternate history.
ChipFTAC01
AG
jeffk said:

Yeah, that was the story I posted about back on the 11th. Pretty crazy story when you think of alternate history.

Oops

I wonder how he'd have fit jnto that team. Need to go back and see who was all on there. Brog's first year?
YNWA.2013
PL schedule comes out tomorrow. Who wants to bet me we get a newly promoted side? Like Luton Town
-FTA c/o 2013

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.