F GOLF

168,462 Views | 1214 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by ILikeTacos
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Getting ****ing FED UP with my putting. Can't seem to read the speed at all right now.

last 5 rounds:
89 with 42 putts
89 with 43 putts
84 with 36 putts
87 with 37 putts
81 with 33 putts

Just need to go practice I guess, but I feel completely helpless standing over the ball on the green right now. Almost at the point where I'd like to chip a long putt rather than try and lag it.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Getting ****ing FED UP with my putting. Can't seem to read the speed at all right now.

last 5 rounds:
89 with 42 putts
89 with 43 putts
84 with 36 putts
87 with 37 putts
81 with 33 putts

Just need to go practice I guess, but I feel completely helpless standing over the ball on the green right now. Almost at the point where I'd like to chip a long putt rather than try and lag it.

Don't work on lagging, work on mastering 5 footers.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
mike_ags_fan12
Shot 93 at Oso in Corpus yesterday. My drives were no doubt the longest I ever hit in my life. Even managed somehow to
Put a little fade in them.

Only to freaking fail on my Approach shots. Put them
Too short or too long. Then botch my chip shots. Then 2-3 putt. Could have easily broken 85. Guess it didn't help I was drinking as well. Hopefully redeem myself this Sunday
AustinCountyAg
so to preface I have been playing the best golf of my life during this chinese flu holiday I've had. Been working from home since March and I have basically played at least once a week since then. My handicap has dropped about 7 strokes and my average score has been about an 83....

However yesterday was really annoying. +11 on the front nine followed by +2 on the back. I missed about 4 par putts on the front all inside 5 feet. ****.

CapCity12thMan
AG
been playing the best golf of my life too these last few months. My highest score during this period was unfortunately in the TX State Am qualifier

....and of course I injured my wrist and elbow doing some heavy landscape work so now i'm on the DL.
bagger05
AG
Recently recommitted myself to working on my game. First time out on the course with the early parts of the swing change. A tidy 48 on the front including a 9 on a par 4. Played a bit better on the back when I got my driver working but still...
lazuras_dc
AG
Playing a couple holes to get ready for the men's club championship (net division) - 15hc here

Went bogey par par par and feeling pretty dang good About myself then on the last hole (par3 )first tee shot shanks 30 yards right into the water. Second tee shot pull draw into the creek - pin high though. Third ball pull fade onto the green 8' from hole then 2 putt wtf
HoustonAg12
AG
Had the greatest round of my life today by far which was an 80 but F Golf cause I left 5 birdies short by a combined 1 foot. 3 of them stopped at the lip
Larry S Ross
AG
Had a great round going and looking for Mid 80s which is real good for me. Had 42 on front and parred 10 and 11. Short par 4 next and I'm in the sand next next to green pin high. 35 ft to pin. End up with an 11 on the whole and my round was done. F golf
Good Day.
lazuras_dc
AG
Started off par birdie today in the club championship then went 9, 10. Shot a 96 net 83
Keep kicking myself even with a 6 on both holes would've been 89 net 76 probably right in it tomorrow.
cb1919
AG
Short of the green on 18 today....need to get up and down for par to break 80 for the first time....chunked chip about 2 feet
lazuras_dc
AG
cb1919 said:

Short of the green on 18 today....need to get up and down for par to break 80 for the first time....chunked chip about 2 feet

?itemid=8804254
lazuras_dc
AG
Today on14,15,16 had par birdie birdie. 17 I duffed my chip and had double on it. On 18 had a 3 footer for par to break 40 on the back 9. Lipped out.
Shot an 86 for a personal best for this course. Net 73 (80% course handicap) which is awesome but With my net 83 yesterday I was not close to being in contention. Winner shot gross 77/77 Net 72/72.
G Martin 87
AG
Needed 7 or less on the par 5 18th to break 90. Shot a 9, with 2 in the water.
powerbelly
AG
G Martin 87 said:

A 9 with 2 in the drink is not half bad.
stick93
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pgatour.com/news/2020/07/23/best-par-save-ever-after-two-in-water-sangmoon-bae-holes-out-from-250-yards-round-one-3m-open-tpc-twin-cities.amp.html
G Martin 87
AG
powerbelly said:

G Martin 87 said:

A 9 with 2 in the drink is not half bad.
This is the hole. I was playing it safe hitting up the left side, but tried cutting across the water from 120ish out. I was aiming left just in case. But I hit it fat and it dribbled into the water. Good plan, bad execution. 54 wedge just missed the edge, and fell in. Should have clubbed up on that one.
agsalaska
AG
I havent clicked on this thread in months.

Well done ladies and gentlemen. There is some truly crappy golf on here.
lazuras_dc
AG
Read this wsj article today. Hit a little close to home

Quote:

It's time for me to quit playing golf. I know I've done this a few times before, but now I mean it. I need a less stressful habit, like microneurosurgery, or robbing banks. I need to take my golf clubs aboard a deep-sea fishing boat and then drop them into the ocean. Then I need to snorkel to the bottom of the ocean and bury my clubs in the sand, just to make sure the clubs don't become a reef, and the fish get polluted with my bad golf mojo.

I have to do this, because I hate golf, I really do. I could sit in a wooden chair and stare at a wall and it would be a better use of my time.

I didn't feel this way a couple of months ago. A couple of months ago, I fell back in love with golf, hard. We actually got remarried, golf and I, and it was going great. Sure: You had to wear a mask into the pro shop, and you weren't supposed to touch the flagstick, but it was still, you know, golf. I was outside! I was doing something besides reading scary articles in the newspaper! A golf course was suddenly my happy place, which in retrospect should have been a dire warning.

After all, this was a big reversal for me. A few years back, I'd had an epiphany that the correct amount of golf for me to play wasn't routine golf, or occasional golf, but never golf. I jammed the clubs in the closet and left them to the spiders. I drove past courses and didn't even turn my head. I taught myself rock climbing and French cooking. OK that last part isn't true. Mostly I sat on the couch and looked at my phone. At least I wasn't making myself miserable playing golf.

Playing golf these past six months, however, has felt like an escape. I started taking my kids. Playing golf with your kids makes you emotional, almost teary, and I'm not talking about the time my 7-year-old lined up in the wrong direction in the tee box and nearly drove a Titleist straight into my eye socket. Something felt cosmically right this time. I used to hate the fussy parts of golfthe rules-y stuff, like having to wear shoes, or a shirt of any kindbut golf amid this pandemic has seemed less uptight, easygoing, almost relaxing.

I was re-seduced. Before I knew it, I was up to my old tricks, looking for out-of-the-way driving ranges and shopping for wedges on the internet. I was practicing in the mirror. I was buying plastic practice balls. I stayed up late watching chatty YouTube videos of Florida pros telling me how to improve my flop shot. (It turns out YouTube is just videos of dogs on surfboards and Florida golf pros telling you about the flop shot.)

I was hitting a dangerous state: I thought I was getting better. At the range, I found it easy to hit 10 balls in a row, dead straight. Then I would hit 20, dead straight. Then 30. OK, that's a bald lie. I never hit 30 balls in a row dead straight, or 20 or 10. It was more like 6. Or 2. Still, I was hitting them better. When I got on a course, I was parring a hole every now and then, even a birdie once in a while without that much cheating. I'm not saying I was ready to drink a bourbon and chat up Jim Nantz in Butler Cabin, but I was starting to think that, after all these years, I was figuring it out.

Again: This is a treacherous place. The only thing more hazardous than a bad golfer is a bad golfer convinced they're improving. This isn't to say that people can't improve, that coaches and lessons don't helpwell, OK, in my case, it is to say that a little bit. Coaches and lessons have only done so much for my sad state. At a certain point I need to accept that when I say "I think I'm getting better at golf" it's like watching someone strap a canoe to the top of a car with cheap twine and say "I think that is working pretty well!" I might be OK for a minute, sure. Inevitably, I'm going to be picking up canoe bits on the Interstate.

But I kept playing. The kids got bored of me, so I played alone. Golf alone is actually the best way to play golf. You don't have to watch your pals take five minutes to line up a 2-foot putt, or deliberate between a 9- or an 8 iron like they're picking where they're going to live for the next 40 years. Of course, the problem with playing golf by yourself is that when you hit a great shot, you're the only one who saw it happened. Who do you tell? The Canada geese in the fairway? Hey geese! Didja see that up and down? It's a little lonely.

So I slipped. I made the worst mistake of all. A few weeks ago, feeling confident, I made an appointment to play with two work colleagues, socially distanced. I don't know what I was thinking. Well, I do know what I was thinking: I was thinking they would see my game and think, Hey, Jason's hitting them pretty good. I love that guy. He rules. I would card a couple of pars and a birdie and be so proud of myself. Instead I played Horror Golf. I flailed; I sliced; it was grotesque. I didn't look like someone who had been practicing regularly. I looked like someone who had held a driver for the first time that day in the parking lot.

Now I am hurt. I've been hacking so much this summer I now have tendinitis in my elbow, which the internet tells me is caused by my being horrible at golf. It's embarrassing. It's like getting injured rolling croissants. I whimper when I pick up the remote control. When my kids ask me what's wrong, I tell them Daddy got into a fight with a bear. They don't believe me. Daddy, they say. It's probably a medial epicondylitis owing to poor swing form. Maybe you should sit in a wooden chair and stare at a wall.

So that's it. I'm done. I'm hurt and I'm wretched and I'm back where I was. That's that. I have learned my lessonI won't play golf again. Unless, of course, you want to play golf tomorrow. You do? What time? I feel like I'm starting to turn a corner.

Texas Ag 15
AG
Played on Saturday and bogeyed or worse every par 5. Shot 76 weekend before, but 84 on Saturday. Double bogeyed two of the par 5s due to stupid course management. Could also be related to have a few drinks...
Ol_Ag_02
AG
43 and 43. Pretty happy with myself this evening. Starting to have a new problem now. Flying greens because my irons are really starting to connect. I've gone from hitting a five iron 150 to hitting my eight 150.
bagger05
AG
F##kin right, man.

Before long you'll be hitting your 7 iron 220 like senor chipotle.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Good lord... that is exceptionally accurate.
Legalize-It-Ags
AG
**** golf. Love it but damn I played horrible today. I had 29 putts but could keep the ****ing ball in play off the damn tee.
bagger05
AG
Making some swing changes and ball striking on the front was pretty damn good. Not so on the back. Started hitting pull hooks off the toe with driver and irons. Short game also kinda sucked. Missed a two foot bunny on one hole and had a four putt from about 20' on another. I also had a one-putt triple bogey. Finished the day with a quad for a tidy 94.
Legalize-It-Ags
AG
How did everyone play this weekend? I went out to Windrose in North Houston and shot 93 yesterday. Missed on a lot of opportunities to lower that score but it was nice to have a fairly complete game. Especially after I struggled off the tee box so much last weekend.

Best shot of the day came on hole 17. It's a 331 yard par 4 that has a huge wetland between the tee box and the green, with the fairway running along side to the right in a dogleg fashion. You can drive the green with a 300+ yard drive, but you have to hit over two huge trees between the green and the wetland. Sure as ****, I went for it off the tee box and put my ball 12 feet from the cup. One of the best shots I've ever hit. I 2 putted for birdie. Definitely the highlight of my round.
Rubble
AG
Would be more fitting on this thread if you said you 3 pitted for par.

Nice shot!!
zgolfz85
AG
Don't know if I've ever driven the ball more consistently than my round today. Only missed 3-4 fairways and even putted for eagle on two par 5s....missed both of course, but solid birds. I just couldn't hit a GIR to save my life today. I only had a couple 3 putts also. It was one of those rounds where you add up the ol scorecard at the end of the round and are scratching your head as to how you didn't break 90 (90 on the nose). Last 2 rounds of 81 and 84 on much harder courses. FRICK!
Poot
F Windrose! Fixed it for you.
BreNayPop
AG
Swing it like crap today. Driver army marching, irons either pure and too long or slice right, couldn't chip to save my ass. But the putter was the best I've ever had- had 25 putts. Shot 76. Wtf?!?
Legalize-It-Ags
AG
BreNayPop said:

Swing it like crap today. Driver army marching, irons either pure and too long or slice right, couldn't chip to save my ass. But the putter was the best I've ever had- had 25 putts. Shot 76. Wtf?!?

That's golf, brotha. 76 is a hell of a round though! Just keep it going and you'll start to live under par!
Legalize-It-Ags
AG
Poot said:

F Windrose! Fixed it for you.

It has its moments lol

Overall a nice public course. Would rather spend $50 there than river plantation or west fork.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
It's a pretty decent track for the cost and it handles rain better than most in the area. Problem is they pack in tee times like no other. Weekend round out there is 5 hours minimum.
Legalize-It-Ags
AG
This is true. We tee'd off at 12:45 and didn't finish til 4:50. Granted we got paired up with an older gentleman who was a bit higher of a handicap. But still. Very rarely do I ever play at a 4 hour pace.
DaleDoback
I had a hole in one lip out today. 185 into the wind, lips out on me to 6 inches. Never had one before and I doubt I ever get that close again.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.